[E-voting] UK govt circular mentions open-source e-voting

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Thu Jul 21 16:36:07 IST 2005

On Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:24 AM [EDT],
Michael McMahon <michael at hexmedia.com> wrote:

> It doesn't make sense to me
> that: on one hand it's not acceptable to
> have to trust a computer programmer (of your own choosing), but on the
> other hand it is acceptable
> to have to trust a set of party workers (whom you cannot choose).

???? I've never been a member of a political party in my life, and I've
attended General Election counts, and helped with the tally 4 or 5 times in
the last 20 years. I've tallied for different parties at different
elections.

Party workers don't count our election results. They observe them, and the
presence of, to use FCraigs term, "mutually distrusting parties" helps
ensure that the count process can't be subverted. It's not too difficult for
any interested citizen to take part.

Aengus