[E-voting] UK govt circular mentions open-source e-voting

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Thu Jul 21 16:56:39 IST 2005

Aengus Lawlor wrote:

>On Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:24 AM [EDT],
>Michael McMahon <michael at hexmedia.com> wrote:
>

>>It doesn't make sense to me
>>that: on one hand it's not acceptable to
>>have to trust a computer programmer (of your own choosing), but on the
>>other hand it is acceptable
>>to have to trust a set of party workers (whom you cannot choose).
>>

>???? I've never been a member of a political party in my life, and I've
>attended General Election counts, and helped with the tally 4 or 5 times in
>the last 20 years. I've tallied for different parties at different
>elections.

Let's not split hairs. You were in some shape or form, "working for a
party".

>Party workers don't count our election results.
>
>They observe them, and the
>presence of, to use FCraigs term, "mutually distrusting parties" helps
>ensure that the count process can't be subverted. It's not too difficult for
>any interested citizen to take part.

I didn't think that any citizen could just walk in off the street, but
never having been involved
I could be wrong there.

The main issue though, is the practical limitation on numbers. And the
point I was making
is that verification of the crypto based election systems does not have
to be done
at the count site. It can be done at any time, from anywhere on the planet.
So in a real sense, every voter can verify the election, albeit in a
different way.

Michael.