[E-voting] UK govt circular mentions open-source e-voting

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Thu Jul 21 17:17:51 IST 2005

Aengus Lawlor wrote:

>On Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:24 AM [EDT],
>Michael McMahon <michael at hexmedia.com> wrote:
>

>>It doesn't make sense to me
>>that: on one hand it's not acceptable to
>>have to trust a computer programmer (of your own choosing), but on the
>>other hand it is acceptable
>>to have to trust a set of party workers (whom you cannot choose).
>>

>???? I've never been a member of a political party in my life, and I've
>attended General Election counts, and helped with the tally 4 or 5 times in
>the last 20 years. I've tallied for different parties at different
>elections.
>
>Party workers don't count our election results.

<just to be clear about this>
Since the party workers (or whoever gets the chance to be there at the
count) are the only
people who observe the count, then the voters have to trust them to make
sure
it is done properly.

In a crypto e-voting system, the place of the observers is taken partly
by the
programmers who write the verification software, and partly by the voters
who choose to download that software and use it to verify an election.

That's why I was making the comparison.