[E-voting] UK govt circular mentions open-source e-voting

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Thu Jul 21 19:34:00 IST 2005

On Thursday, July 21, 2005 12:57 PM [EDT],
cansbro at eircom.net <cansbro at eircom.net> wrote:

> Colm said,
>
> "A citizen can just contact their returning officer and ask for a
> ticket though, and I've never heard of them being refused."
>
> Are you sure about this?  My experience as a candidate is that these
> tickets are in short supply.  I always got phone calls from
> candidates from other parties asking if I had any extra tickets.  I
> don't think I'd get phone calls like this if they could have gotten a
> ticket from the returning officer.
>
> For one thing, space is limited so they'd have to set some limits for
> fire safety reasons, if nothing else.

That's fine in theory, but in practice, there isn't a huge demand from
"non-political" sources. If you contact your Returning officer in advance,
you'll be assigned a ticket.

In most cases the people asking you for spare tickets are people who want to
have their supporters there when they are elected, not because they have
lots of people wanting to observe the count.

(In my own case, I got tickets from various different parties - in one case
I just turned up on the morning, and asked someone if they needed anyone to
help with the tally).

> Does anyone else know of citizens contacting their returning officer
> to get a ticket?  Maybe this would work if they did it well in
> advance, and/or if they "knew" the returning officer, and/or if they
> knew who to contact.  How many people would know who to contact?

Wrong question - how many people that actually want to attend the count
can't figure it out is a more relevant question.

Aengus