[E-voting] UK govt circular mentions open-source e-voting

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Thu Jul 21 23:57:58 IST 2005

David GLAUDE wrote:

>Assuming I was a non programmer citizen, I would not trust programmer of
>any kind or from any party. Nor would I trust expert.
>
>The election should be in the hand of the citizen and one should not
>need expert or "programmer" to get the result of the election.
>
>I trust in "randomly selected" citizen that work durring the election
>night under scrutiny of party representative from every side.
>
>One of my line to explain the problem is:
>"What if the party of programmer does present itself to the election and
>get 51% of the popular vote?"

Do you mean the programmer of the voting system itself?

I am talking about the programmers of  a system used to validate
the election data. The election data comprises various pieces,
some published before the election and some generated by the count.
If the programmers of the system are somehow
connected to the winning party, then I would not trust them either.

I would expect the other parties to get their own implementations
and check the data themselves.

Michael