[E-voting] UK govt circular mentions open-source e-voting

Craig Burton caburt at alphalink.com.au
Fri Jul 22 04:22:29 IST 2005

There are patents over WORM optical media and packet writing (which
would be desirable so small numbers of votes might be written in
increments) which I think may have hurt the market.  Roxio was sued
recently over this, for example.
Potentially I can see how the same DVDR could boot the machine and then
take the votes back in free space on it.  Each could then be put into
escrow for public interest.  How to prevent them being forged and
substituted into the count takes us back to the memory card issues.
At least its WORM.