[E-voting] UK govt circular mentions open-source e-voting

Marian Beddill beddill at nas.com
Fri Jul 22 07:08:48 IST 2005

And, dear Craig, I strongly believe that: "....No DREs should ever be
networked....." if the goal of elections is to have them trustworthy, and
to convince the electorate that they are trustworthy.

Hacking is a fact of life of networks. And the best firewall is no live
connection of any type.  Any connection is a gateway, and the slightest
twist of even one member of the trusted crews would open the gate to
shenanigans.  Even the steps needed to load the election, and to extract
the electronic results via any electronic media, are themselves channels
for potential fraudulent interference. True both for poll-site machines
(DRE's etc) and central tabulators, and any stages in-between.

So there needs to be, imho, a parallel "data channel" directly from the
voter to the tally for auditing and verification purposes, and that data
must be "human readable without an interface".  For all practical purposes,
that means a paper ballot, at the voting site, that the voter sees (or is
in a position to see - he might not bother).  Auditing will mean a twin
count - one of the digital record (of the whole election, naturally) - the
other of the paper ballots (at least a notable random sample of them), with
a published report of the double-check. Nothing less can serve.

The previously proposed "VoteHere" system does not meet that criteria,
because even if there are two tracks, both are electronic, and need a
machine interface to read them, thus there is opportunity for error or
fiddling in both tracks.  Anyway, I hear that VoteHere may have parked or
downplayed their encryption online voting verification system. At least,
they are now pushing a system that track ballots, not votes.

Marian Beddill