[E-voting] UK govt circular mentions open-source e-voting

Craig Burton caburt at alphalink.com.au
Fri Jul 22 08:28:40 IST 2005

>> Any federally mandated standards for something like democracy are
>> going to be met with resistance by the various States.  It's always
>> been like that.  We were at the meeting where the various secretaries
>> of state voted to discontinue funding for the EAC after 2006.  It was
>> very heated.
>> [...]
>>
> The point wasn't about the conflict between state and federal. It was
> that standards are simply not
> being enforced when the will to do it does not exist. I was skeptical
> of this view initially,
> but there is some evidence to support it.

Both are very bad : the will of staff to enforce the standards (this is
why they remain voluntary) and the nature of the states to resist the fed.
Still, VVPAT is getting passed at the state level everywhere so
presumably this represents sensitivity to the risks and a will for
improvement.
I believe the states were frustrated by the delays the EAC reported,
both in appointments of commissioners and in standards formation.