[E-voting] UK govt circular mentions open-source e-voting

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Fri Jul 22 11:24:25 IST 2005

On Thursday, July 21, 2005 6:18 PM [EDT],
Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:

>>> It may not be broken, but it is inordinately slow.
>>> E-voting + VVAT is a sensible option, in my view.
>>
>> Inordinately slow? It takes a day every 4 or 5 years - what's slow
>> about that? It seems to me that this is an example of taking a lead
>> from the US (where 4 or 5 ballots a year are not unheard of in some
>> jurisdictions) where a 1 day count might indeed be a "problem" that
>> needed to be fixed.
>
> Were you at the RDS count at the last election?
> I think the reaction of almost everyone there, regardless of party,
> was that the whole thing was excessively long-winded.
> (My impression was that it took twice as long as expected.)

Yes, I was there. And if it took twice as long as expected, it wasn't
because it was a manual process, it was because someone decided to mismanage
things so that it took twice as long as expected. Someone who had his nice
shiny voting machines taken away from him, perhaps?

Aengus