[E-voting] "Black box" irregularities in the House of Representatives?

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Sun Jul 31 23:51:20 IST 2005

Tim

It doesn't matter to you whether or not legislators' votes are recorded
accurately?  Why bother with democracy at all, then?  What an
"inconvenience" it must seem to you.  (And why bother participating in
this e-group?)

The principle of which way the vote went (and whether or not it's "the
wrong way" in your opinion) on CAFTA is not the issue here--it's that a
legislator's vote was apparently not counted correctly.  One
legislator's vote represents many hundreds of thousands of citizens.
Plus, it is his permanent voting record.  Not to mention the impact of
this piece of legislation, for good or for ill.  How can we have a
representative democracy and not care whether or not legislators' votes
are recorded accurately?

Do we have any checks and balances in the Oireachtas in case the
electronic system doesn't function correctly?  If a piece of legislation
has passed, and then someone claims their vote was not recorded, or not
recorded correctly, and it would change the outcome, what would happen?
Do we have clear procedures in place to handle such a scenario?

Saying it's not "the end of the world" if a few votes are counted
incorrectly seems like a way of dismissing looking at our systems,
procedures and equipment to try to avoid unnecessary errors.  It
belittles the whole issue, implying that those of us who are concerned
about democracy in Ireland are wasting our time on something that is of
no real consequence.  Is this how you feel?  If so, then what are you
doing here?

Catherine