[E-voting] Did finally Nedap give access to all source code ?

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Fri Jun 3 03:23:14 IST 2005

David GLAUDE wrote:
> Beeing public knowledge does not mean it is public domain... but at
> least it is obvious or not new and can not be patented.

David, I know that English isn't your first language, but please stop
re-interpreting what I say. The PowerVote Count module implements the
statutory rules for counting Irish PR-STV elections. Those rules do not
belong to PowerVote, and there is nothing to prevent anyone from writing
their own code to implement those rules. The parts of the ERS software that
are responsible for communicating with the NEDAP memory modules may involve
proprietary code, or licensed drivers from Nedap - I have absolutely no
idea. But it would be more efficient to have 4 or 5 different, independently
developed counting modules, run in parallel, and focus any code review
efforts that are deemed necessary on the "ballot transfer" code.

(That still does nothing to deal with the issue of the actual ballot
collection on the Nedap machine itself - we're going to be stuck with their
firmware if we use their hardware).

Aengus