[E-voting] Re: Election Supervisors

Keith Martin keith at keith.gs
Wed Jun 8 12:19:48 IST 2005

> Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 12:06:47 +0100
> From: A.J.Delaney at brighton.ac.uk
> Subject: Election supervisors was Re: [E-voting] Special Report: Black
> 	Box	Voting Attempts to Penetrate The Leon County Florida Optical Scan
> 	Voting System.
> To: Catherine Ansbro <cansbro at eircom.net>
> Cc: Irish Citizens for Trustworthy Evoting <e-voting at lists.stdlib.net>
> Hey all,
> On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 21:33 +0100, Catherine Ansbro wrote:
> > Wow. From the Supervisor of Elections, no less.
> That's a well written (but unsurprising from our point of view)
> conclusion.
>
> There has been talk about returning officers on this list before.  I've
> a few questions about them
> * Are they appointed by political parties or simply concerned citizens
> with an interest in politics?
> * Is there a list of returning officers for Ireland? (My Google-fu
> fails)
> * Is there a better description of their duties than this
> http://www.acts.ie/zza23y1992.6.html#zza23y1992s31 ?
>
> Lastly, would it be profitable for us to contact returning officers
> detailing how a lack of VVAT effects their jobs, explaining that they
> will never be able to verify the outcome of the elections they
> supervise?
> --
> Aidan Delaney

The legislation you referred to is the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1992 - there
have been one or two updates to that legislation since it was enacted, but
nothing significant for Returning Officers, AFAIK.

I'm not aware of a list of returning officers.

The County Registrar/Sheriff is appointed by the Department of the Environment &
 Local Government, and is generally a non-political appointment.  They would be
selected by the Minister, but I'm not aware of any people who have been put
into these positions for political reasons.  Most of them well outlast the
Governments who appoint them.  Some interesting stuff on what the Sheriff does
in the debate at http://www.gov.ie/debates-99/24jun99/sect5.htm

I'd say contacting the Returning Officers wouldn't have a huge effect - they're
quite careful about their neutrality.

KEITH