[E-voting] Re: Election Supervisors

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Fri Jun 10 12:32:23 IST 2005

Fergus O'Rourke wrote:
> Keith Martin <keith at keith.gs> wrote
> [snip]
>
>> I'd say contacting the Returning Officers wouldn't have a huge
>> effect - they're
>> quite careful about their neutrality.
>
> This is true, but it is still a profoundly unsatisfactory situation.

I also got the impression from interviews with various Returning Officers at
the time of the last General Election that many of them were not exactly
inclined to take advice from "amateurs" like ICTE.

I was left with the strong impression that they have a lot in common with
Dick Roche - they know best, and now that they have the "hammer" of
Nedap/PowerVote, all the "messy" aspects of conventional election are
beginning to look like nails.

Aengus