[E-voting] [Fwd: Green TD calls for pilot e-voting project for TDs - Make elected representatives more productive - says Gogarty]

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Thu Jun 16 14:02:19 IST 2005

Was I surprised to see the following press release.  The desire for
efficiency is laudable.  But I am horrified at the implications.

This would be the beginning of a very slippery slope.  If e-voting is
"ok" for TDs who are enacting legislation, why should it be "less ok"
for elections?  Can you imagine the implications of this suggestion?
This would probably be even easier to hack than the proposed e-voting
system.  Since there'd be no paper trail no one could prove that they
really voted how they think they did.  Just think of the interesting
legislation that might get passed by fraudulent means.  (E.g., someone
could say, "oh, you must have pressed the wrong button."  And unlike
elections, where there is a procedure for appealing a decision or
calling for a recount, how would one address the possibility of a Dail
or Seanad vote being hacked?)  Would the legislation be legal or not?
Would TDs even pay attention to whether or not their votes were recorded
accurately?

The person(s) responsible for this press release are clearly not clued
in at all on the very real security issues.  (Dep. Gogarty is not the
person with the brief for local gov't/e-votingissue; that was Ciaran
Cuffe, who was briefed in 2002.)

Introducing e-voting should not be used as a substitute for the
badly-needed overhaul of an appallingly inefficient Dail system.

There are surely other solutions that would improve efficiency that
would be more secure.  (E.g., each party could have dedicated phone
lines manned by a staff person who would require TDs to give a secret ID
number plus other confidential information in the same way a bank
verifies one's identity, taping the conversation and recording their
vote on paper and then submitting it, or some variation of this.  Since
the number of TDs is small this would not be such a major issue.)  Or
maybe other folks here could think of far better ideas.  I don't know
how practical it would be to have a "window" of time in which TDs could
record their votes by phone or in person.

This press release says to me that the Green TDs never understood the
depth of the problems connected to all forms of e-voting.  I guess they
have not kept up with the horror stories coming out of the USA, where
machines are now failing audits and some have already been
de-certified.  The e-voting machines here have many of the same
vulnerabilities.  But here in Ireland we can't even do an audit because
all the records were destroyed long before Joe McCarthy's FOI requests
revealed  there were problems.  God only knows what we'd find if we
still had access to the machines used on the 2002 pilot that was such a
technical failure while being touted at the time as a "success."

Thoughts, anyone?  Should ICTE put out a press release responding to
this proposal?  Should someone from ICTE contact Dep. Gogarty to brief
him on this issue?  Does anyone here at ICTE think my concerns are
unfounded?

Catherine