[E-voting] [Fwd: Green TD calls for pilot e-voting project for TDs - Make elected representatives more productive - says Gogarty]

Brian O'Byrne bobyrne at statesoft.ie
Thu Jun 16 14:48:20 IST 2005

Catherine,

There is a major difference between a non-secret ballot like the Dail
chamber votes and a secret ballot.

Because the number of members is small and well-defined you can
implement non-repudiation measures (forcing TDs to stand over the
votes recorded in their name) and openly question votes that appear
to be against each member's stated position on each issue.

That gives the TDs a strong incentive to ensure the system is not
subverted.

I guess you could imagine a situation where a corrupt party might
subvert the system to ensure all members of the party voted on some
important piece of legislation, and always voted along party lines.
There would be an incentive in that case for the members involved not
to report the tampering. In that case we might be forced to rely on
the vigilence of the other parties.

You might also imagine a denial-of-service attack, where some members
were prevented from recording thier votes through some technical
sleight-of-hand.

What else might go wrong...?

Brian.

--