[E-voting] [Fwd: Green TD calls for pilot e-voting project for TDs - Make elected representatives more productive - says Gogarty]

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Thu Jun 16 14:59:40 IST 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:52:01PM +0100, Catherine Ansbro wrote:
> The convenience/efficiency side makes sense.  But would anyone check up
> on whether or not their votes were recorded accurately?  I suspect not.

That's what a whip's job is :) It already happens!

> Without a paper record one would never know the difference.

It's not a secret vote. The whip and the representatives themselves
would know the difference. It's up to the people to elect
representatives competent enough to check their votes for accuracy.

> It would be a tempting target to hack if TDs were not able to prove how
> they voted.

Very very very rarely are their free votes. They are always on
party/issue lines. I can't see it happening personally.

All that said, I am firmly opposed to this bizarre move. The oireachtas
isn't just somewhere where votes occur, its where debates occur. The way
it is *supposed* to work is that they listen to those debates and try to
influence opinion. Then they get to vote.

I think it's insulting to enable lazy politicians who can't be bothered
turning up for the debates to still have a say. A thouroughly
disgraceful and sickening idea. It renders the chambers and the debate
which occurs there pointless by presupposing that members of the house
should have their minds made up regardless of what is said there.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net