[E-voting] Re: Green TD calls for pilot e-voting project for

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Mon Jun 20 01:08:02 IST 2005

Aengus,

You have really nailed it!  You have a great grasp of Irish politics and
of what motivates voters, and of how national policy decisions are
really made.  I loved your description.

This is one reason why I feel I'm not "cut out" for politics--because
it's actually national policy that I'm really interested in, but this
has zero relationship to what people vote for, even at national
elections.  Policies seem irrelevant to voters, unless they perceive it
to be "local."

I suppose there are times when committees and/or discussions between
Seanad/Dail play a significant role in shaping legislation--but mostly
it seems like a pretty big mess with not much connection to what
legislation is most urgently needed by the public.  And there's
virtually no public consultation.  The e-voting issue forced some degree
of consultation to take place but we'll have to really stay involved to
make sure this continues.

Catherine