[E-voting] e Challenge 2005 (conference 19 - 21 October 2005, Ljubljana, Slovenia)

David O'Callaghan david.ocallaghan at cs.tcd.ie
Mon Jun 20 14:14:16 IST 2005

Hi All,

On 19/06/05 01:06, David GLAUDE wrote:
> http://www.echallenges.org/2005/
>
> Is going to talk about eVoting (among other stuff).
> Too late to submit a paper... maybe eChallenge2006 is the place to go.
> Estonia = strong plan for eVoting
> Principles of eVoting System Security Evaluation
> Jaak Tepandi, Tallinn University of Technology, Estonia

The proposed Estonian system is an online voting system that's closely
tied to the Estonian national ID smart card. I recently was at a
presentation on the subject of the ID card.

In this e-voting system you digitally sign your vote with your smart
card and submit the signed vote to the voting server. This will validate
the signature and strip the identifying information before sending it to
the counting server.

Not only do you have to trust the anonymizer and counting software, but
you also have to trust your own PC, including the special evoting software.

For more information on the ID card see http://www.id.ee/, although I
can find only one press release that mentions e-voting.

David