[E-voting] e Challenge 2005 (conference 19 - 21 October 2005, Ljubljana, Slovenia)

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Mon Jun 20 16:35:27 IST 2005

David O'Callaghan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> On 19/06/05 01:06, David GLAUDE wrote:
>
>> http://www.echallenges.org/2005/
>>
>> Is going to talk about eVoting (among other stuff).
>> Too late to submit a paper... maybe eChallenge2006 is the place to go.

>> Estonia = strong plan for eVoting

>> Principles of eVoting System Security Evaluation
>> Jaak Tepandi, Tallinn University of Technology, Estonia
>

> The proposed Estonian system is an online voting system that's closely
> tied to the Estonian national ID smart card. I recently was at a
> presentation on the subject of the ID card.
>
> In this e-voting system you digitally sign your vote with your smart
> card and submit the signed vote to the voting server. This will
> validate the signature and strip the identifying information before
> sending it to the counting server.
>
> Not only do you have to trust the anonymizer and counting software,
> but you also have to trust your own PC, including the special evoting
> software.
>
> For more information on the ID card see http://www.id.ee/, although I
> can find only one press release that mentions e-voting.

There is a presentation about it here.
http://www.cyber.ee/dokumendid/evalimised/virunurm.ppt
The pres includes a high-level risk analysis, which acknowledges various
things like the possibility for fraud. An interesting point
they make is that you would have to trust the "central system" which
I presume aggregates the votes. They say this is equivalent to
trusting the "Election Committee" for existing paper based elections,
and therefore that's ok.
But I wonder if the underlying assumption is really true.
If existing paper ballot election counts are
conducted in public, then I don't see how it could be true.

Michael.