[E-voting] Edail Eireann Proposal

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Tue Jun 21 14:39:08 IST 2005

Though I said it was an interesting idea, I am pretty skeptical.
If there was a real need for this, it could have been done years
ago.

Also, it seems like article 15.11 of the Constitution disallows it.
"All questions .. shall be determined by ...majority of members present"

- Michael.

Peter Thornes wrote:
> I see there was some discussion of Paul Gogarty's press release
> re  e-voting for the use of deputies in the Dail:
>
> It's in turn based on my proposal on Todays.Net
>
> http://www.todays.net/edail.html
>
> It's an alternative (or addition) to eVoting by the public.
> Voting isn't secret, it doesn't need paper trails, it's a smaller scale system.
>
> The main worry seems to be what affect it might have on debate attendance.
> But if it makes for more efficient TDs, arguably voters are better off:
> TDs always remain accountable, it's not as if attendance was banned.

I think the main problem would be how to guarantee that the system
would be available (in reality it could not be guaranteed) when it is
needed. What happens if the