[E-voting] Edail Eireann Proposal

David GLAUDE dglaude at poureva.be
Thu Jun 23 00:39:29 IST 2005

In European Parliament and in every other Parliament, they have
non-remote voting machine.

For non secret vote where the list of vote is available... there is no
problem.

When the vote is secret... or when it is not a roll-call vote, then it
might be more of an issue.

Most vote are done by raising the hand... when the result is to close to
call they use the eVoting system build inside their desk. Sometime when
a first vote is close but not eChecked and the second vote is also close
and the eVote reveal that the president impression was wrong, then the
vote before is also redone or the result changed if it appear to be the
same result.

European Parliament is unique because we have currently 732 MEP (we had
more between 1 may 2004 and re-election, we will have more after
Bulgaria and Roumania get on board).

Before eVoting in EP the opposition was tabling amendment to slow down
the decision process. Now if there are many amendment they vote
electronicaly to accelerate the process.

Sometime one MEP complain about a non-fuctionning voting machine... most
of the time this is not a real technical problem but a human problem or
a way to avoid voting on hot topic.

I have heard that in some country there is a "follow me" option where
the party leader vote is "displayed" so that member can vote the same
way... much more funny to hack than a voting-list.

I don't know what to think about eVoting in Parliament... but I don't
like it much, also because if they don't get the diffrence between
secret and non-secret vote they might want to give the citizen also a
chance to experiement eVoting. :-(

Michael McMahon wrote:
> Also, it seems like article 15.11 of the Constitution disallows it.
> "All questions .. shall be determined by ...majority of members present"

Did they say "physicaly present"?

David GLAUDE