[E-voting] Discussion on IrishLaw list

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Fri Jun 24 14:03:25 IST 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:58:29AM +0100, Michael McMahon wrote:
> >One of the main reasons for introducing the system was to avoid
> >accidental spoils. A tallyman tells me anecdotally is that more apparent
> >Fianna Fail votes are spoiled than for any other party.
> >

> Maybe they will forget about e-voting if they realise there are
> other simpler ways to fix this problem :)

I read that point too and found it a little bizarre. Fianna Fail get
more votes than any other party in general. So of course they get more
spoils. What matters is if they get a disproportionate number of spoils.

I've been a spoils adjudaticator a number of times, and in my experience
I don't think they do. Sinn Fein, in the other hand, do seem to get a
very disproportionate number of spoils.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net