[E-voting] Answer to PQ re Audit Logs

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu May 5 19:42:32 IST 2005

On Thu 05 May 2005 16:15, Keith Martin wrote:
>Section 129 of the Electoral Act 1992 provides for the
> retention, and disposal after a period of six months from the date of the
> poll, of specified documents related to a Dail election.
> Any ideas how we might ask for exactly what we want?

I would have thought it would be a good idea
to ask for the data to be kept for more than 6 months,
at least for the time being,
"in view of the doubts that have been expressed on the system's reliability".

It seems to me that it would be difficult for the Minister to refuse this
without seeming to want to cover something up.
On the other hand, the fact that such a step had been taken
might lead some people to believe that there _were_ problems with the system.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366