[E-voting] Amazing article

Nick Hilliard nick at netability.ie
Tue May 10 12:13:02 IST 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 11:49 +0100, Margaret McGaley wrote:
> I can't believe that this article was only published last month. It's all
> about how great evoting is and they're wondering when it'll finally be
> introduced. One deputy returning officer they spoke to is not worried about
> security, because he "did not get a single comment back about security
> concerns".

But wait!  The systems were protected using "international security
standards". That's ok then - they had me worried for a moment with all
this talk of networks and phone lines and all that.

While there was a lot of unusually ill-informed opinion in this article,
the IPPR's costings for e-voting look credible (i.e. 2x cost of paper
voting) and it may be worth introducing them into the arguments we have
over here (with caveats about differences in voting mechanisms).

Nick