[E-voting] Amazing article

Dr J Pelan J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Wed May 11 13:14:34 IST 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Margaret McGaley wrote:

> I can't believe that this article was only published last month. It's
> all about how great evoting is and they're wondering when it'll finally
> be introduced. One deputy returning officer they spoke to is not worried
> about security, because he "did not get a single comment back about
> security concerns".

As many have been pointing out here and elsewhere, the UK government
(national and local) is hell bent on introducing e-voting in all its most
dangerous of forms. It will be foisted on the electorate with all the
precautions and safeguards that the postal voting system has, i.e. of the
level that would "disgrace a banana republic".

I am somewhat hopeful that the ongoing postal voting shenanigans will
raise awareness of the risks and it will increase resistance to e-voting
but this outcome is not assured. In fact, e-voting could be misleadingly
portrayed as the *solution* to these problems.

It would appear that every country must learn the lessons the hard way.

John P.