[E-voting] Arnie hits e-voting snag (fwd)

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Wed Nov 9 09:44:45 GMT 2005

The governor, however, was allowed to use a regular ballot.

McCormack said she apologized to the governor's staff and would
investigate what happened. She said nobody actually voted for
Schwarzenegger in Pasadena, and the governor's votes today will be counted.

<more>

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-110805arnold_lat,0,7268769.story?coll=la-ho
me-headlines
<http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-110805arnold_lat%2C0%2C7268769.story?coll=la-home-headlines>

*/------------------------------
[on BBV]
The governor, however, was allowed to use a regular ballot./*

Wouldn't that be illegal? If you or I found ourselves in the same
position.........ARRRRRRGH!

I did like the sound of this line, "She said nobody actually voted for
Schwarzenegger in Pasadena,....." LOL!

PAV ;-)
Yes, it is against the law:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=elec&group=14001-15000&fil
e=14310-14312
<http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=elec&group=14001-15000&file=14310-14312>
More on this story,

http://www.nbc4.tv/politics/5282427/detail.html

*Governor Among Voters To Encounter Problems At Polls*

POSTED: 5:14 pm PST November 8, 2005
UPDATED: 5:20 pm PST November 8, 2005

LOS ANGELES -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger was surprised at his polling
station Tuesday morning with the news that he had already voted in
California's special election.

Even though he had not.

When Schwarzenegger arrived at his polling place in Brentwood, he was
told he would have to submit a provisional ballot. But a quick call to
the Los Angeles County Registar-Recorder Office confirmed that he had
not voted previously, and he was allowed to vote by normal ballot, said
Kristin Heffron, chief deputy for the office.

The problem originated Oct. 25, when officials at early voting sites
across the county were asked to enter sample names into voting computers
to make sure they were connected to the main election office in Norwalk.

The testers were given several names to enter into the computers,
including the names of administrators in the office, said Heffron, one
of the officials whose names were used.

Schwarzenegger was not one of the sample names, but someone at a
Pasadena location entered it anyway, perhaps in an attempt at whimsy,
Heffron said. The testers were supposed to cancel the transactions once
the tests were complete, but whoever entered Schwarzenegger's name did
not, making it appear initially that he had voted.

"I can't answer why they used Schwarzenegger's name," Heffron said.

The governor's office referred calls to the governor's lawyer, Thomas
Hiltachk, who did not immediately return a call for comment.

Kim Alexander, president of the nonpartisan California Voter Foundation,
said the incident was troubling.

The group opposes paperless electronic voter machines because they don't
leave a paper trail, making situations like Schwarzenegger's difficult
to resolve. The incident could also discourage other voters, she said.

"If there's uncertainty about whether the governor's ballot is going to
be counted, it may lead other voters to wonder if their own ballots will
be counted," she said.

Alexander also questioned whether another voter would have received the
attention Schwarzenegger did, including a call from a poll worker to the
main election office.

Heffron said other voters in the same situation would have received the
same treatment, but that no poll workers had called about other voters
in a similar situation.

The governor's problem was one of several concerns about voting in Los
Angeles County.

Los Angeles officials expected a high number of provisional ballots to
be cast because many voters received absentee ballots but then tried to
vote in person, Heffron said.

She said voters who received absentee ballots were required to cast
provisional ballots -- which must be confirmed -- to ensure that they
didn't vote twice.

Many voters who cast ballots at early voting stations had to do so with
provisional ballots because they had also received absentee ballots,
Heffron said.

Also, about 50 percent of voters were supposed to vote in a different
polling place than they did last year because of consolidated locations,
Heffron said.

Statewide, things seemed to be going more smoothly.

Secretary of state spokeswoman Nghia Nguyen said the office had received
a low number of calls from people trying to locate their polling places.
A power outage at one site in Sacramento County did not cause any delay
because there was a backup power source, she said.

http://www.nbc4.tv/politics/5282427/detail.html

So in addition to the snigger value, there's a very serious side to
this--correct procedures are routinely ignored and laws are broken.

Catherine