[E-voting] Wisconsin report in Slashdot

Adrian Colley aecolley at spamcop.net
Sat Nov 12 16:46:47 GMT 2005

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 12:42:06PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Slashdot reported today that Wisconsin is requiring VVAT:
> Madison Wisconsin's Capitol Times reports 'With only four dissenting votes,
> the state Assembly easily passed a bill that would require that electronic
> voting machines create a paper record. The goal of the legislation is to make
> sure that Wisconsin's soon-to-be-purchased touch screen machines create a
> paper ballot that can be audited to verify election results.'
> "Wisconsin cannot go down the path of states like Florida and Ohio in having
> elections that the public simply doesn't trust ... By requiring a paper
> record on every electronic voting machine, we will ensure that not only does
> your vote matter in Wisconsin, but it also counts."

The phrasing of "a paper record" sounded suspect to me, so I checked it
out.  http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2005/data/AB627hst.html has the
history of the bill so far; it does actually require voter
verifiability:

> SECTION 5.
> 5.91(18) of the statutes, as created by 2003 Wisconsin Act 265, is
> amended to read:
>
>	It produces a permanent paper record of the vote
>	5.91(18) If the device consists of an electronic voting machine,
>	         it generates a complete, permanent paper record showing
>	         all votes cast by each elector at the time that it is
>	         cast, that is verifiable by the elector, by either
>	         visual or nonvisual means as appropriate, before the
>	         elector leaves the voting area, and that enables a
>	         manual count or recount of the elector's each vote cast
>	         by the elector.

The original form of the bill said "before the elector leaves the
machine" where it currently says "before the elector leaves the voting
area", which is a slightly strange amendment.  The original also said
"paper ballot" instead of "paper record", and didn't allow nonvisual
means of verification.  The original required the voting machine
software to be made public; the bill as passed to the Wisconsin Senate
now says only that it must be sent to a state Board under non-disclosure
agreement.  Finally, the bill as passed to the Senate requires any
recounts to use the paper record.

So it looks like good news from our point of view (as well from that of
Wisconsin citizens).

 --Adrian.

--
GPG 0x43D3AD19 17D2 CA6E A18E 1177 A361  C14C 29DB BA4B 43D3 AD19
http://user-aecolley.jini.org/