[E-voting] Electronic Voting in the Dáil Yesterday

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Wed Nov 30 23:26:20 GMT 2005

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:14:24PM +0000, Ciaran Quinn wrote:
> I wonder could questions be asked such as:-
>
> 1. Has a legal opinion been sought as to the constitutionality or
> legality of the electronic voting system?
> 2. Has a legal opinion been sought as to the constitutionality or
> legality of the way voting was conducted in those constituencies in
> which electronic voting was used in the general election and referendum
> in 2002?
> 3. Has the government any plans to seek a legal opinion on the legality
> of the electronic voting system?
>
> Presumably they couldn't (or shouldn't) spend money on testing if they
> know it is illegal? (I am thinking about the legal opinion about nursing
> home charges)

Hmm, I like that idea, and we certainly have channels. I think the
questions would need to be more pro-active though, how about;

	1. Bearing in mind that any electronic voting system without a
  	   Voter-Verified Audit Trail will, by design, be categorically and
	   provably subject to undetectable errors; has a legal opinion
	   been sought as to the constitutionality of such a system, and in
	   particular whether the Government would be adequately
	   safeguarding the constitutional right to democracy in the
	   event of such a system being put to use?

	2. If not, does the Government have any plans to seek legal
	   advice on the matter?

I wouldn't ask the question 2, because I'm not sure it works in our
favour. The law is quite complicated there, in that the polls have been
certified, which makes them legal regardless of anything else. Nobody
challenged those polls.