[E-voting] E-voting experts call for revised security guidelines

Craig Burton caburt at alphalink.com.au
Thu Oct 6 02:30:49 IST 2005

It's surprising Avi also seems to like Internet voting.  A renaissance man.

http://www.jhunewsletter.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/09/30/433c19833a818

 From Johns Hopkins University School Paper:

*/Agarwal attributed the success of the (Freshman Class) election to
aggressive advertising on campus, as well as to the implementation of a
simpler system of online voting that allows students to access the
voting Web site by entering their JHED IDs and passwords. /*

*/Under the guidance of Hopkins professor and electronic-voting expert
Avi Rubin, Agarwal contracted a software development and consulting
company called SmartLogic Solutions to design the new voting system,
accessible online at /**/http://vote.jhu.edu./**/ /*

*/The company was newly formed this summer by two Hopkins graduate
students, Yair Flicker and John Trupiano. Flicker, who graduated with
the Class of 2005, said that his own experiences with previous voting
systems designed by the BoE guided SmartLogic's choice of design. /*

*/"I personally have voted in some of BoE's previous voting systems
where I had to enter long numbers from my J-Card," Flicker said. "When
we designed the website, we wanted it to be as simple as possible for
students to use." /*

*/Flicker also said that the new voting system would avoid the pitfalls
of requiring students to enter information like birthdays, which lead to
the cancellation of last year's executive board and Young Trustees
elections due to possible fraud.  /*

*/Several freshman voters praised the new system's simplicity. "The
online system was very easy," said Rahul Agarwal, who added that the
class-wide e-mail directing freshman to the voting site was the most
effective form of advertisement./*