[E-voting] E-voting experts call for revised security guidelines

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Thu Oct 6 10:07:21 IST 2005

I think Internet voting for student elections is quite reasonable.

Internet voting on a large scale would be similar to postal
voting (on a large scale). The main issue, which is the loss of
secrecy, is the same.

In the context of student elections, sacrificing the secret ballot
is not really a major threat. IMO the threat of coercion and
vote buying is not significant, largely becauses the stakes
are a lot lower than for major public elections.

Come to think of it, a lot of elections at that level (like sports
clubs, associations etc.)
would by show of hands, which is even less secret than postal/internet
voting.

Of course, Internet voting has to solve the authentication problem.
But I would guess that Avi Rubin has thought about and solved that issue..

- Michael.