[E-voting] E-voting experts call for revised security guidelines

Marian Beddill beddill at nas.com
Thu Oct 6 17:54:05 IST 2005

Mr. McMahon;
With all due respect, you are absolutely WRONG on "the main issue".

The main issue for internet voting is NOT "the loss of secrecy" - it IS the
loss of ability to verify (to "audit", to "double-check") the report of the
tally of votes - and the associated loss of ability to rectify the count,
should a problem be identified or even claimed.

If the tally cannot be independently verified, then fraudulent insider
intervention can cause the report of the winner to be whatever the
fraudster wishes it to be.

And the purported schemes to let individual voters login to some dataset to
see something about their votes to "prove the validity of the tally" is as
solid as the breath from a hot fox watching the hens.

A computer system can easily be constructed to maintain either doubled
datasets (one for tally and one for reporting) or even just different
procedures for extracting and reporting data (likewise).  With the intense
secrecy imposed on system source-code review, combined with the ease of
changing programs at the last minute, I cannot imagine any method of
assuring the truthfulness of the entire system, if there is no reliable,
parallel, original record of the actual votes cast by the voters.

Hence, a V.V.P.A.T. -  a voter-verifiable paper audit trail - comprised of
a V.V.P.B. (ballot) and an obligatory process of at least spot-checking the
final computerized tally with a hand-count of the paper ballots (which were
verifiable by the voter before casting their vote), papers which would have
a characteristic equivalent to a standing as "admissible first-hand
evidence" if that were a court of law.

The loss of secrecy is also a great concern, I do agree.  But it is trumped
by the loss of confidence and truth.

No internet voting for any major public offices.  Period. The risk of the
loss of democracy of the people, by the people, is too great.

Marian Beddill
http://NoLeakyBuckets.org/