[E-voting] "Threats to Voting Systems" conference wakes up election officials

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Sat Oct 8 20:49:36 IST 2005

Yesterday the National Insitute for Standards and Technology (NIST)
(USA) held a conference "Threats to Voting Systems."  Their website has
links to all the submissions made (papers and other submissions); it
also has links to the presentations made on the day and there is an
audio file of the entire conference proceedings.  This could be useful
resource.  See http://vote.nist.gov/threats/papers.htm

Most of the conference attendees were election officials.  Apparently
the presentations and discussions woke them up at last--to the fact that
all the various kinds of election machines have serious security
vulnerabilities.  (The vendors kept telling election officials that
there was nothing to worry about--just like in Ireland.)  I hope some of
our own civil servants & public representatives will check out this
material.  The attack threats here are similar or identical in many cases.