[E-voting] New technology aims to perfect electronic voting

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Tue Oct 18 09:22:40 IST 2005

They make this sound good by claiming it will remove any chance of
error. But it relys on whether or not the computer has any "confusion"
about reading the numbers on the ballots. This comes down to how it's
been programmed. Presumably the degree of sensitivity in interpreting
voters' written numbers could be altered, possibly maliciously.

If this system creates tiff ballot images then perhaps the Hursti
programme could be used for voters to analyze the actual ballots at
home, which would be interesting.

The article says nothing about the machine's security.

If it uses a large scanner presumably that means ballots will have to be
transported--a vulnerability in the existing system. (This could be
alleviated if candidates' reps could accompany the Gardai when
transporting the ballots. The Gardai have lost their right to claim
trustworthiness. On basic principle this should be observable by voters
or at least by candidates' representatives to remove an unnecessary
vulnerability.)

Catherine