[E-voting] New technology aims to perfect electronic voting

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Tue Oct 18 10:28:31 IST 2005

An optical scan system would at least allow the reuse of the counting
system (if not the voting machines).
So the Govt. could claim some credit for salvaging a part of their
current system.

If the blank ballots have unique pre-printed barcodes that allow the
electronic votes to be linked
to the paper ballots, then the audit can use random samples to give a
pretty high
level of confidence with fairly small sample sizes.

I've always been sceptical of automatic scanning machines. They could in
practice end up being less
reliable than DREs, but I think manual scanning might work. Though
whatever way it works,
I think it would be great to see something like this done in a pilot, so
long as audits are understood to
be a required in all cases. Scanning software is not any less vulnerable
than DRE software.

- Michael