[Fwd: Re: [E-voting] About Estonian e-voting]

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Mon Oct 24 12:45:32 IST 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 09:40:43PM +1000, Craig Burton wrote:
> We wouldn't be discussing it if it was never successful.  One virtue of
> electronic voting is that fewer hands touch the votes.

That's not a virtue. That's a weakness.

> This is well known and was very exciting for us programmers, but the
> hack is brittle.  If the UNIX source for login changes, the compiler
> malware breaks.  The compiler is a good place for a hack, that's why we
> need a clean compiler if we are going to bother auditing code, I
> suggested this above.

You will need a clean compiler, a clean version of every library that
compiler uses, a clean version of the kernel running the compiler, and
clean version of the hardware running the compiler. And you'll need all
of that all over again for the running binary. It is a complete waste of
time.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net