[Fwd: Re: [E-voting] About Estonian e-voting]

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Mon Oct 24 15:24:28 IST 2005

VVAT is full of holes, unless 100% of the ballots are counted by hand
after each election--and even this has its risks.

1) There are legal problems--VVAT is only as good as the laws requiring
that the paper ballots be counted by hand.  Experience elsewhere has
shown that this can be VERY problemmatical.  There's no point
considering VVAT without simultaneously considering companion legislation.
2) There are sociological problems--over time, with no difference in
results, there could be a tendency to get sloppy about the hand count,
creating pressure to do away with the obligatory hand count.  Since
there would be reliance on the early "electronic" results, the quality
and quanity of public oversight of the hand counting would be severely
diminished.
3) Counting a "statistically relevant" sample (whether 1%, 3% or 10%)
does not assure detection of tampering.  Unlike accidental "mistakes" or
"glitches," hacking is not a random event that is necessarily likely to
be spread evenly.  It opens up other attacks, depending on insider
affiliation (and potential ability to control how the sample is
chosen).  Changing a very small number of votes can be enough to change
an election result.  Our election officials have already shown
willingness to ignore even large discrepancies.

Catherine