[Fwd: Re: [E-voting] About Estonian e-voting]

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Mon Oct 24 15:27:43 IST 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 03:24:28PM +0100, Catherine Ansbro wrote:
> 2) There are sociological problems--over time, with no difference in
> results, there could be a tendency to get sloppy about the hand count,
> creating pressure to do away with the obligatory hand count.  Since
> there would be reliance on the early "electronic" results, the quality
> and quanity of public oversight of the hand counting would be severely
> diminished.

Well my own position is that hand counting is the only viable option,
and that computer counting of votes is a waste of time and money.

Unlike a hand counted poll, there is no information in the end result of
a computer count about the likelihood of error. So there is nothing to
go on as to whether a particular poll should then be hand-counted.

In other words, they would all have to be hand-counted.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net