[E-voting] The best VVAT is good for

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Mon Oct 24 16:24:12 IST 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 04:21:07PM +0100, Catherine Ansbro wrote:
> VVAT only has value as a partial mitigation against the completely
> unacceptable option of a paper-less and unauditable DRE.  I.e., it is
> somewhat better than the worst-case situation.
>
> But it is not a "solution" to aspire to, for the reasons I mentioned
> previously.  And it is dangerous in itself in that it can mislead people
> into thinking it is more of a solution than it is.

I think this confuses the issue. A Voter Verified Audit Trail is simply
a mechanism by which the voter has verified the correct recording of
their vote :-)

For example; the current, completely un-electronic voting system
posesses a VVAT in the form of our ordinary ballot papers, That's all a
VVAT is.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net