[E-voting] The best VVAT is good for

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Mon Oct 24 16:36:40 IST 2005

Thanks, Colm, I take your point.  Too often (and this is what I did)
VVAT is assumed to include electronic counting, when that is not
necessarily the case.  (E.g., our proposed DREs but with a printed
paper, but the central counting computer would do the counting--which is
sort of what ICTE was originally proposing).

If we legislated /only/ that our DREs must supply a VVAT, that wouldn't
solve anything.  It's how the ballots are counted that matters, and I
agree completely with you that this should only be 100% by hand.  We
would need to simultaneously legislate to confirm what is the real
ballot (the paper), and how it is to be counted (by hand).  Otherwise,
we end up with a DRE that produces an electronic vote and a paper vote,
no guidance as to which has precedence and when, and how votes are to be
counted and lots of potential problems.  ((If votes are usually counted
electronically, but partial hand recount in xxx situation--VVAT becomes
meaningless.  We cannot afford to ignore the US experience in this
respect.)  That is what I was trying to point out.  Legislation that
only mandates VVAT is not enough.

Catherine