[E-voting] democracy commission supports e-voting at all Irish election

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Wed Oct 26 13:24:23 IST 2005

RTE Radio 1 news at 12pm and I assume also 1pm news.

They were having a press conference in Dublin today at the Nat'l Library
Kildary Street at 11am to launch the final report--I was invited to
it--little did I know.  It's the Report of the Democracy Commission:
"Engaging Citizens: The Case for Democratic Renewal in Ireland".

The 2 NGOS are tasc (a think tank for action on social change) and
democratic dialogue.  Anyone know more about these 2 groups?  Are there
political agendas at play here we should know about?  Or was it just
naivete, thinking this would help to make democracy more inclusive (I
could understand this point of view from someone uninformed of the
technical issues).

Nora Owen was the chair of the small group I was in at the last
workshop.  (We were divided into 4 groups of 25-30 each for part of the
workshop.)  The people who attended were from a very wide range of
groups, with any political presence from all parts of the spectrum, but
probably more from the progressive/liberal side.  It seemed to be a
genuinely apolitical affair, which is why I wanted to be involved in the
first place.  That's why I'm inclined to think this recommendation comes
from a place of being uninformed rather than political deviousness.