[E-voting] democracy commission - relevant sections

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Wed Oct 26 15:08:41 IST 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 03:00:44PM +0100, Catherine Ansbro wrote:
> The trouble is that the MEDIA is highlighting this.  They have pulled
> out 2 issues to focus on: 1) recommendation that political parties
> offer a gender-balanced slate of candidates 2) recommendation that
> electronic voting be used for all Irish elections  (they didn't
> mention the VVAT; the reporters probably just skimmed the executive
> summary)
>
> Naturally the media wants to create controversy to drive up
> listeners/readers.
>
> If we don't counter it in some way it leaves the recommendation
> unchallenged.

Absolutely, and I'm sure it will be added right away to the spiel the
Minister for the Environment gives in future.

O.k., we'll need to put ut a statement today if its to have any effect,
can you draft?

It doesn't need to be very long, but random ideas to say:

	* They are well-intentioned but ill-informed
	* That we share their aim that the true benefits to electronic voting
          be seen nationally.
	* But that VVAT is absolutely critical
	* That remote voting solutions; via TV, SMS and what-not are
          simply not compatible with a safe democracy
	* That it is irresponsible to treat the issue in this manner.
	* That we 100% support their recommendation that there be an
          Independent Electoral Commission.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net