[E-voting] ideas? and my conversation with Clodagh Harris

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Wed Oct 26 15:35:21 IST 2005

Maybe something along the lines of:

While ICTE supports the principle of maximising voter participation, the
technical reality at the moment is that electronic voting is not
sufficiently secure.  Ironically, while it might seem to make voting
more accessible, it would do so at risk to the most fundamental core of
Irish democracy.

We accept that the report's recommendations were well-meaning, but
suggest that they were made without awareness of the numerous technical
considerations.  The Democracy Commission does not appear to have
consulted widely on this particular issue, and does not have the
internal technical expertise on the technical implications of electronic
voting.

* * *

Clodagh Harris just rang me back, fair play to her.

She stressed that they were OPPOSED to the currently proposed e-voting
system, and would only support something with significant safeguards.  I
mentioned this doesn't come across clearly from reading the report
itself (and the executive summary doesn't mention VVAT or the need for
significant changes to the current system--an open invitation to be
quoted widely out of context).  I also mentioned the disturbing framing
issue (voter confidence v.s. election integrity).  She will welcome any
emails about this, which she will distribute to the Commissioners.  (I
suggested they might want to consider offering a clarification.)  I said
it was regrettable they didn't run the wording by individuals with
technical expertise relating to this particular issue.

I think if we could feed them some possible wording for clarifications
etc. they might be willing to use them in press interviews etc.

She seemed genuinely concerned that I felt the report's dealing of this
issue could be damaging.  At least she is aware there is a potential
problem here.