[E-voting] ideas? and my conversation with Clodagh Harris

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Wed Oct 26 15:45:59 IST 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 03:35:21PM +0100, Catherine Ansbro wrote:
> While ICTE supports the principle of maximising voter participation, the
> technical reality at the moment is that electronic voting is not
> sufficiently secure.  Ironically, while it might seem to make voting
> more accessible, it would do so at risk to the most fundamental core of
> Irish democracy.

The statement about electronic voting not being sufficiently secure "at
the moment" doesn't really make sense to me :/

> We accept that the report's recommendations were well-meaning, but
> suggest that they were made without awareness of the numerous technical
> considerations.  The Democracy Commission does not appear to have
> consulted widely on this particular issue, and does not have the
> internal technical expertise on the technical implications of electronic
> voting.

I've now read the report, they endorse the need for VVAT. The only thing
I can take issue with really is their bizarre statements about
internet/kiosk/phone voting.

They are being misreported, we can't really attack them for that, and we
can't really clarify on their behalf either.

Complete idiot tools anyway. *sigh*

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net