[E-voting] UK shelves plans for e-voting trials

Craig Burton caburt at alphalink.com.au
Thu Sep 8 11:03:03 IST 2005

Marian,
This isn't on the list.  So I CC them, hope that is OK.  DavidG hates it
when things are off the list.
REV is remote electronic voting.  It's also a type of skinny milk we
have in Australia, so please excuse any confusion.

Marian Beddill wrote:

> Craig;
>
> I don't recognize the acronyn "REV".  A search didn't help. Please
> define/explain.
>
> Marian
>

> At 9/7/2005  09:35 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Ouch.  Fortunately postal voting will save the day.
>>
>> It's cheaper* than REV, it's safer** than REV and people love it***.
>> * But the cost goes up with scale.  I can't believe it would be
>> cheaper for 20M voters.
>> ** Four convictions so far for postal pilot fraud, REV zero.
>> Per-household registrations : all the fun of family voting.  And do
>> you get a receipt?
>> *** 95% REV users wanted it to be ongoing.  We'll see about postal -
>> I predict the uptake will fall
>>
>> Good luck Estonia!
>>
>> Shane Hogan wrote:
>>
>>> From http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9636510.html
>>> The UK government has dropped its plans to run trials of e-voting
>>> technology
>>> in advance of next year's local elections. The Office of the Deputy
>>> Prime
>>> Minister issued a statement cancelling a procurement that called for IT
>>> suppliers to provide it with technology to run pilots between 2006
>>> and 2010.
>>> "This notice has been cancelled as the government has decided not to
>>> invite
>>> applications to conduct electronic electoral modernisation pilots in
>>> 2006.
>>> All organisations that submitted an expression of interest in the tender
>>> have been notified of the cancellation," the ODPM said. Trials had
>>> been due
>>> to take place next year that would include internet, phone, SMS and
>>> digital
>>> TV voting, along with pilots of electronic polling stations and vote
>>> counting systems. E-voting pilots last took place in the UK in 2003;
>>> plans
>>> for further trials in 2004 were abandoned on the advice of the Electoral
>>> Commission. The government has not yet given a reason for the