[E-voting] UK shelves plans for e-voting trials

Craig Burton caburt at alphalink.com.au
Thu Sep 8 14:16:01 IST 2005

Catherine,
I've read only two articles about this so far.  The one posted here and
the BBC one:
This article frames postal voting as the go forward technology.  Of
course registration is the real vulnerability.

I don't think either postal voting or REV are perfect, but postal voting
is weaker.  It gives no receipt, it has poor reach, the postal system
can be attacked where votes accumulate most etc.  Low tech is enough to
break it.  Postal voting was never meant to scale, it has been the
traditional method of minority fraud wherever it has been used.

However, if you think all voters can be compelled to attend polling
stations and there be no remote methods, you've got be kidding.  People
have never had less time to vote nor do they travel farther from where
they need to be to vote than they do now.

I think voting has to be compulsory.  I think some REV methods are going
to be needed as a concession.  Obviously the REV methods to be used need
to be adequately secure.

Best,
Craig.