[E-voting] Compulsory voting

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Thu Sep 8 18:28:12 IST 2005

Getting rid of corporate funding of campaigns (and of political parties)
would help a lot.

Campaign limits that only apply to the 3-week election period are a
joke.  All the parties just make a point of putting key expenditures and
literature out before the election is called, and that way they avoid
the spending limits.  (As long as it doesn't say "Vote #1" and it's
distributed before the election is called it isn't affected by campaign
spending limits.)

If candidates and parties weren't bought out by corporate donations then
we might get better quality candidates.

Maybe all candidates should be obliged to show up for a public debate or
Q&A.  What I've observed is that some candidates don't bother to show up
for these events, so they can avoid having to address awkward questions.

Catherine