[E-voting] and more voter education

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Thu Sep 8 18:37:23 IST 2005

More voter education is also needed.

FF is on record as being concerned about the number of spoiled votes
(which they lose) because of voters putting 3 #1s for 3 FF candidates.
This is supposedly one of the reasons for their eagerness to introduce
some form of E-voting.  I'd support them in doing something to address
this problem.  I don't want FF voters to be denied their vote because
they didn't understand the rules.   I disagree about the way of solving
the problem, however.

Having participated in counts on a couple of occasions, I think there
should be a small one-page leaflet with instructions for voters that
they can read before they vote.  It could show examples that will
invalidate their ballot:   having more than one #1 vote; having any
writing anywhere on the vote; skipping a number in how they rank
candidates.  When I was involved in checking ballots that were unclear,
we were given a written list of rules.  Why don't ALL voters get to know
the rules before they mark their ballot?

Also, I think if we had an option for "None of the Above" those who
don't like the options presented can make their feelings known more
effectively than spoiling their vote (and having it be assumed it was a
"mistake")..  That might get more people to participate.