[E-voting] Compulsory voting

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Thu Sep 8 21:11:12 IST 2005

Ita Ryan wrote:

>This is how, in my opinion, voter turnout should be
>encouraged:
>- Make it as easy as possible to register

Eg. Co. Meath has an online registration page at
http://www.meath.ie/elections/form2.htm

>- Have lots of polling stations, easy to access

I've said this before, but IMHO voters should in the future, be able to
vote from any polling station
in the country so long as they can prove their identity. It's not
practical though with
paper ballot based systems, (unlike electronic receipt based systems).

>- Make it as easy as possible to check your vote
>hasn't been mysteriously deleted

That happened to me a number of years ago. I hadn't changed address or
anything. Never got any explanation, and ended up unable to vote.
Meath also have an online system for checking registration.

>- Keep the polls open for up to 48 hours, including
>one weekday and one weekend day.

Good idea. I think the current postal voting system helps with this and
is reasonably secure. You have to fill out the ballot paper in private
at a Garda station.
Of course, it does not scale, and could never be a general solution for
everyone.

>- Publicise all the above continuously, so every
>citizen knows how to register/vote and where.

Absolutely. Also, the problem with ballot spoiling would be dramatically
reduced if people knew what a spoilt ballot actually is.

Michael.