[E-voting] Compulsory voting

Craig Burton caburt at alphalink.com.au
Fri Sep 9 07:44:03 IST 2005

Compulsory voting doesn't actually mean you have to vote.  It means you
have to be marked off as having attended.   You can also submit a blank
or informal ballot.   About 5% of people in Australia do one of these.
However, ask any electoral person or psephologist (don't ask any
politician) and they will tell you voting needs to be compulsory and
that there are good reasons.  It's not just turnout, its about the
democratic process.

All that follows IMHO is sorely overdue.  Some sort of e-voting or
e-tracking system would be needed to detect vote "deletion" or loss of a
paper vote.  I'm not sure how much of the vote casting process has to be
automate to provide ths and I'm not sure what the implications are for
anonymity.