[E-voting] Any statisticians subscribed? Looking for a tipping point.

bobyrne at statesoft.ie bobyrne at statesoft.ie
Fri Sep 9 08:31:57 IST 2005

Catherine,

I meant the 'good' votes are correctly recorded and accurately reflect the
voters' intent. 'Good' votes will include spoiled votes. If a voter spoils
their vote it is right that the system should record that.

The 'bad' votes look to be correctly recorded but are in fact not a true
reflection of the voters' intent, whether through coercion, vote selling,
ballot stuffing, malicious or incompetent programming or any other failure of
the voting channel to ensure the integrity, authenticity and secrecy of the
vote.

The ratio of 'good' to 'bad' votes is largely a function of the
integrity of the
voting channel.
The best we have available (at least according to common wisdom) is a paper
ballot recorded in a polling booth. This ensures an immutable, secret and
well-authenticated vote.
Postal voting is immutable but neither secret nor well authenticated.
DRE in a polling booth is well authenticated but not entirely secret and
definitely not immutable.
Remote DRE is poorly authenticated, not secret and subject to changes between
the voter and the count.

I'm certainly not making any comments about voters, just about how well the
system is recording their intent during the election.

Brian.